Compliance, Complaints or Questions: Who Do You Call?

Although the Department of Real Estate has jurisdiction over certain licensees engaged in mortgage loan brokering, we routinely receive calls concerning many areas in which we have no enforcement authority. These include the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA), Truth in Lending Act (TILA & Regulation Z), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), and the Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA) to name a few. We also receive calls with questions regarding mortgage brokers or lenders' holding a California Finance Lender's License (CFL) or a Residential Mortgage Lender's License (RML) which are issued and regulated by the California Department of Corporations. For problems or complaints related to loan servicing, please see our Loan Servicing information under FAQ's on our home page.

The following is a list of resources to which you may contact for information regarding the above laws, regulations, and other issues over which the Department of Real Estate has no jurisdiction.


Federal Trade Commission (FTC)

The FTC has enforcement authority in the case of mortgage companies for the following laws:

  • Equal Credit Opportunity Act (interpretive questions may be addressed to the Federal Reserved Board (FRB))
  • Fair Credit Reporting Act
  • Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
  • Truth in Lending Act (interpretive questions may be addressed to the Federal Reserved Board)
    (Note that this act includes Regulation Z and "Section 32" loan disclosure requirements)

Telephone: (877) FTC-HELP (382-4357)

Headquarters/Financial Services Division
600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, D.C. 20580
(202) 326-2222

901 Market Street, Suite 570
San Francisco, CA 94103

10877 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 700
Los Angeles, CA 90024

Federal Reserve Board (FRB)

Persons with questions about the meaning of any Regulation Z provision under the Truth in Lending Act, the Home Mortgage Disclosure Act, or the Equal Credit Opportunity Act may request formal board or unofficial staff interpretation. The questions should be addressed to:

Director of the Division of Consumer and Community Affairs
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System
20th Street and Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, D.C. 20551
(202) 452-3000


Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB)

CFPB has administrative authority for, among others, the following acts:

  • Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA)
  • Truth in Lending Act (TILA)
  • Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA)

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
Consumer Help
P.O. Box 4503
Iowa City, Iowa 52244
(855) 411-2372


Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC)

The OCC administers in whole or in part, and has enforcement authority over national banks and federally-chartered and state-chartered savings institutions for the following Acts:

  • Community Reinvestment Act
  • Equal Credit Opportunity Act
  • Fair Credit Reporting Act
  • Fair Housing Act
  • Home Mortgage Disclosure Act
  • Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act
  • Truth in Lending Act

For information regarding the consumer laws, contact the OCC at:

Consumer Assistance Group
1301 McKinney Street, Suite 3450
Houston, TX 77010
(800) 613-6743
FAX (713) 336-4301


Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC)

Central intake point for consumer complaints or inquiries about banks that are not members of the Federal Reserve System.

Consumer Response Center
2345 Grand Boulevard, Suite 100
Kansas City, MO 64108-2638
1-877-ASK-FDIC (275-3342)


Federal Communications Commission

Among other things, may investigate complaints about unsolicited telephone marketing calls and faxes.

Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau
Consumer Complaints
445 12th Street, SW
Washington, DC 20554
1-888-CALL-FCC (225-5322)
FAX 1-866-418-0232


National Credit Union Administration (NCUA)

Regulates federal credit unions.

NCUA Region V-Tempe
1230 W. Washington Street, Suite 301
Tempe, AZ 85281
(602) 302-6000
FAX (602) 302-6024


Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)

Regulates securities brokerage firms, mutual fund companies, and investment advisers.

Complaint Center
100 F Street NE
Washington, DC 20549
(202) 942-8088


Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC)

Regulates commodity brokers, commodity trading advisers, commodity pools, and introducing brokers.

TOLL FREE 1-866-FON-CFTC (366-2382)



Department of Business Oversight (DBO)

The Department of Business Oversight (DBO) regulates a variety of financial services, products and professionals. The Department oversees the operations of state-licensed financial institutions, including banks, credit unions, money transmitters, issuers of payment instruments and travelers checks, and premium finance companies. Additionally, the Department licenses and regulates a variety of financial businesses, including securities brokers and dealers, investment advisers, deferred deposit (commonly known as payday loans) and certain fiduciaries and lenders. The Department regulates the offer and sale of securities, franchises and off-exchange commodities.

300 S. Spring Street, Suite 15513
Los Angeles, CA 90013- 1259
(213) 897-2085
FAX (213) 897-8860

320 West 4th Street, Suite 750
Los Angeles, CA 90013-2344
(213) 576-7500
(866) 275-2677

1810 13th Street
Sacramento, CA 95811
IMS # F-04
(916) 322-5966
FAX (916) 445-2123

1515 K Street, Suite 200
Sacramento, CA 95814-4052
(916) 445-7205
(866) 275-2677

45 Fremont Street, Suite 1700
San Francisco, CA 94105-2219
(415) 263-8500
FAX (415) 288-8830

One Sansome Street, Suite 600
San Francisco, CA 94104-4428
(415) 972-8565
(866) 275-2677

7575 Metropolitan Drive, Suite 108
San Diego, CA 92108
(619) 682-7227
FAX (619) 682-7217

1350 Front St. #2034
San Diego, CA 92101-3697
(619) 525-4233
(866) 275-2677



Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH)

Among other things, DFEH may investigate and/or resolve complaints of unlawful discrimination in housing or lending practices.

Los Angeles Housing District Office
1055 West 7th Street, Suite 1400
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 439-6703
TOLL FREE (800) 233-3212
FAX (213) 439-6715

Oakland Housing District Office
1515 Clay Street, Suite 701
Oakland, CA 94612
(510) 622-2945
TOLL FREE (800) 233-3212
FAX (510) 622-2956


California Housing Finance Agency (CalHFA)

CalHFA's mission is to finance below-market rate loans to create safe, decent, and affordable rental housing and to assist first-time homebuyers in achieving the dream of home-ownership. CalHFA assists low and moderate-income homebuyers in the realization of their goal of home-ownership in California. CalHFA offers below market interest rate loans and down payment assistance to first-time buyers who meet the income and sales price limits for the County in which they wish to purchase.

Sacramento Headquarters
500 Capitol Mall, Ste. 1400
Sacramento, CA 95814
(877) 9CALHFA (922-5432)

Los Angeles Office
100 Corporate Pointe, Suite 250
Culver City, CA 90230
(310) 342-1250


Bureau of Real Estate Appraisers (CalBREA)

CalBREA licenses real estate appraisers and ensures adherence to the national Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP) and the California Real Estate Appraisers Licensing and Certification Law and Regulations.

1102 Q Street, Suite 4100
Sacramento, CA 95811
(916) 552-9000


Contractors State License Board (CSLB)

The CSLB licenses and regulates contractors in more than 40 license classifications that constitute the construction industry. The CSLB also registers home improvement salespersons, and offers arbitration for resolution of disputes that meet certain criteria. The CSLB Web site provides much consumer information and can be used to verify the license status of a contractor.

9821 Business Park Drive
Sacramento, CA 95827
24-Hour Licensing and Consumer Information: (800) 321-2752
Outside California: (916) 255-3900


Structural Pest Control Board (SPCB)

SPCB licenses and regulates pest control operators. The SPCB Web site provides much consumer information and can be used to verify the license status of a pest control operator.

2005 Evergreen Street, Ste. 1500
Sacramento, CA 95815
(916) 561-8704


Department of Insurance (CDI)

The Department of Insurance, among other things, licenses and regulates California title insurance companies that issue policies of title insurance and may conduct escrow activities.

Department of Insurance
Communications Bureau
300 South Spring Street, South Tower
Los Angeles, CA 90013
(800) 927-4357


Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA)

Among other things, the Department of Consumer Affairs publishes a guide of landlord and tenant rights and obligations.

Consumer Information - (800) 952-5210



American Association of Retired Persons (AARP)

601 E Street, NW
Washington, DC 20049
(888) OUR-AARP (687-2277)


American Homeowners Resource Center (Homeowners Associations)

P.O. Box 97
San Juan Capistrano, CA 92693
(949) 366-2125


Educational Community for HOA Homeowners (ECHO)

1671 The Alameda, Suite 205
San Jose, CA 95126
Phone: (408) 297-3246
Fax: (408) 297-3517


National Reverse Mortgage Lenders Association (NRMLA)

1400 16th Street, NW, Suite 420
Washington, D.C. 20036
(202) 939-1790
TOLL FREE 1-866-264-4466
FAX (202) 265-4435


Back to Top