Education Course Availability (Statutory/Pre-License Courses)

Courses at Public Institutions of Learning

California institutions of higher learning, recognizing the impact of real estate activities on the general economy of the state and the complexities of real estate transactions, have established model career development and training programs.

It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure the choice of courses will satisfy the prerequisites for a real estate license.

Courses at Private Schools

Some California private vocational schools also offer the required pre-license education courses. Only those schools which have made a formal request, filed an application, and obtained formal approval from the Real Estate Commissioner may offer the courses. Private school courses are normally not transferable for credit at public institutions of higher learning.

Courses offered by out-of-state private schools are not acceptable unless prior approval of the California Real Estate Commissioner has been obtained.

Correspondence Courses

For those students who prefer independent study, the University of California (Extension), as well as several California private vocational schools, offer correspondence courses in the required subjects.

No more than two courses may be completed in any five-week period. (A single course may not be completed in less than 2 1/2 weeks.) The student should make certain the courses offered by the private school are approved by the Real Estate Commissioner and satisfies the pre-license education course requirements.

Back to Top